When you’re trying to eat healthy, there’s nothing better than a salad that’s full of flavor, protein, and crunch!
I adapted this Spicy Thai Steak Salad from several online recipes, particularly from the Comfort of Cooking. This recipe is loaded with savory flavors and ingredients that pack a surprising and filling punch for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for the marinade/dressing:
- ½ cup of lime juice
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T ginger, grated
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T fish sauce
- 2 T chili garlic sauce
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound of steak (the original recipe called for flank steak but I used unseason carne asada)
Ingredients for the salad:
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 small Persian cucumbers, spiralized
- 1 large carrot, spiralized
- 1 large head of red lettuce, shredded
- Garnish with crushed peanuts and sliced avocado. Yum!
I combined all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. I removed about 25% of it for the salad dressing and used the rest to marinade the steak. I actually let the meat marinade overnight, realized I wasn’t going to be able to make the salad for a few days, and froze it. Once I was ready to cook, I defrosted the meat and cooked it in a cast-iron skillet for about 5 minutes on each side. I sliced the meat into small, bite-size pieces, and set aside to cool.
I chopped, sliced, and spiralized all of the salad ingredients. Added some (not all) of the dressing, added the meat and voila! Delicious, spicy Thai steak salad!